Saturday, October 18, 2008

Learning Outside the Classroom

The Edible Schoolyard wow, I thought this idea was great. I love the idea of involving children in growing what they eat. How many children think that food comes from the supermarket? This teaching technique gets children involved so they can see and learn how to grow food that they eat every day. After the children how grown the food they get to eat it which adds more hands on for the children. I would love to put my girls in a class like this one because I think it is so important for children to know these things and to be able to use there hands to create something like food that one day could be very useful to them.
I would be in favor of having this type of program at certain schools were students could sign up to learn how to grow food. I think it would help some troubled children have a outlet to create something positive to one day help themselves and others. To watch this video click here The Edible Schoolyard.
A Night in the Global Village, What a idea to open the eyes of children to under developed countries who live in poverty. The children had to work together probably for the first time ever. That task along is hard enough but throw in very little food or water and things get hard fast. The children were in these conditions for a afternoon and night. One of the children said that during the night he know he was going to be able to eat the next morning. The differents was that if it had been real he may not have eaten the next morning. I beleive that events like this one can help children relize that if they choose they can make a differents. Out of this program I believe one are more of these children will give money or time to help people either in our country or other countries.
I would show this video to my students and talk about people in our country and other countries who live in poverty. I think talking about it is great. To have a program like this one locally would be even better. To watch this video click here A Night in the Global Village.

No comments: